Twickenham Rowing Club has been running learn to row courses for the last few years and they have provided pathways into the rowing club as novice competitors and recreational rowers.
The feedback has been positive, highlighting the sociable, fun and inspiring aspects of the course and the club.
The learn to row groups always bond quickly and form groups who go on to keep fit, train and socialise together.
The Learn to Row Course is designed to
- introduce you to rowing
- develop your fitness
- give you an enjoyable fun sociable afternoon
The course is run over 6 weeks and each session is structured to help you progress, learn about safety and enjoy your time on the river. The following outline will give you an overview of what is covered in each session.
- Introduction and Course Outline
- Club Rules and what¹s where
- Health and Safety
- Equipment and Terminology
- Ergo (Indoor Rowing) Technique
- Indoor Rowing Tank / Mondego Water Rowers
- Getting a boat on and off water
- Getting in and out of a boat
- Roles and responsibilites in a boat (Cox, Stroke, Bow and Crew)
- Rowing Sequencing
- Skill Exercises (Circles / Rocking / Standing / Slapping)
- Basic Manoeuvres (Backing down / full circle)
- Boat Care and Maintenance
- Correct Sequencing and stopping in a controlled manner
- Catch, Suspension and Drive
- Extraction, Recovery and Rhythm
- Competition: Putting it all together!
- Get together with cakes and coffee
You WILL surprise yourself with what you can ACHIEVE…
Contact us to learn more.